13 Little Blue Envelopes

This week has probably been the most stressful week this entire semester...However, fortunately, it's finally over!!! I am officially done with my fourth semester of college!! Now, only about ten more to go...just kidding, I don't know how many more I still actually need, all I know is that it probably might still be a while; especially before I am able to transfer, partially thanks to the tuition increase Jerry Brown is putting on all the UCs (Universities of California) and the CSUs (California State Universities).

However, like I said before, the semester is finally over! That means no more finals, no more homework, no more having to go to school Monday-Thursday, no more having to get up too early, and no more teachers...at least for the next two months.  But what this all comes down to is that it is finally...SUMMER!!!

The next two months will be nothing but reading, tanning, reading, movies, reading, my 20TH BIRTHDAY (!!!), more movies, and then probably more reading, as well as hopefully a little bit of shopping.

Anyway, sorry about the babbling...I tend to do that sometimes ;), but the real reason I am writing, is because...well, as you may have guessed...I have read yet another novel!

This week's book was called 13 Little Blue Envelopes, it's by Maureen Johnson.

This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for the past year (at least), and I have been meaning to read it, but new books kept coming along, that I ended up reading first...well, then finally last week I was looking on my book shelf of books that I haven't read yet, and I finally picked it up.  In the past couple of months, for some reason, this title has continued popping up in a number of different blog comments and other internet sites; so I thought, "Hmmm...I have that book! So I guess it's time to read it!"
http://zenleaf.amandagignac.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/13_little_blue_envelopes.jpg
The story is about a teenage girl named Ginny, whose just received a letter from er Aunt Peg, her aunt who died about a year earlier.  Growing up, Ginny looked up to her aunt.  Her aunt was much younger than her mom, and so carefree. She was a crazy artist, who liked to live in the moment.  In fact, one day when Ginny was much younger, Aunt Peg took off for Europe, because she was sick of New York.

She never returned.  Instead, before she died, she made up an envelope containing 13 little blue envelopes, telling Ginny 13 different steps to follow.  The first one containing a $1,000 for her to buy a plane ticket for London.  After she completes each step, she is then supposed to open the next envelope and follow those steps.  She does this until she reaches the 13th, and final, envelope.

Ginny is able to experience a wonderfully, scary/fascinating adventure, where she finds herself practically retracing the exact steps her aunt took before she died.

Along the way she meets a boy, who she falls for; a crazy show-tune singing American family in Amsterdam; a group of Australian teens looking for adventure; a less-than-innocent Italian boy; and many many other interesting people.  She gets to see London, Scotland, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, and the many historical places these beautiful countries have to offer.

Overall rating:


I thought the novel was really interesting and sweet.  The reader is able to watch Ginny grow, and realize some things about herself.  Even though I loved Ginny's character, I couldn't find myself to be able to relate to her.  She didn't really seem to take in anywhere she went.  If I went to Rome and saw the Colosseum, I wouldn't just walk by!  Or the Eiffel Tower, I would be like "I am going to the top!" and not just say "Oh, yeah I saw it...but I wasn't really impressed."  Europe is such an amazing, beautiful, historical place, that if I ever had the opportunity to see it, I would enjoy every minute it.  Of course, Ginny does run across some cracks along the way, but with the help of her Aunt's envelopes, she is able to work through them, and grow along the way.


Now, that's another entry from me! I hope everyone had a great week, and has a great weekend! I know what I'll be doing...RELAXING!! and working...but for now, I'll try not to think about that ;).  Talk to you guys soon!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. THANKS for sharing. Romance novels aren't really my cup of tea, but I am enjoying looking around your blog. Very nice.

    Stopping by from Carole's Your Favorite Travel Books. I am in the list as numbers 11, 12, 13, and 14.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick