Wicked Lovely Review

Wicked Lovely (the first in the Wicked Lovely Series) by Melissa Marr, is one of those books I've wanted to read for a LONG time! I remember looking through the YA section at Borders (when it was still open...RIP BORDERS ;(, You will be/are missed!), and seeing this cover:
Isn't it gorgeous??
I have always loved this cover! The colors are gorgeous, the picture, with the frost yet, blossoming flower...SOOOO beautiful!!

Well, anyway I was fortunate enough to find it my town's tiny public library, and decided to finally read it!  And am I glad!

I really enjoyed this one.  I thought it was a cute, interesting, and engaging take on the mythical world of faeries.

I loved how for once, faeries weren't the good guys.  When I think of faeries, I used to always think of these cute tiny little creatures with wings, who carry around Pixie Dust (Tinkerbell ^^), but after reading Wicked Lovely I got to read about a totally different take.

Faeries can be nasty! Evil! Arrogant!  It was great!

Wicked Lovely is the story of Aislinn, a 16 year old high school student, who has the faery sight...in other words, she can see faeries, even if they choose to be in their invisible form.
She's lived her entire life with the sight, and has always been ignored by the faeries, which is how she wants it.  After all, if a faery knows they see you, they can do horrible things to you...at least that is the story her grandmother told her.

Well, Aislinn is finding that things are changing.  She's noticed faeries following her to her best friend's Seth house.  Luckily, they can't follow her inside, because Seth lives in a refurbished Train, which is made out of metal, which is poisonous to the faeries.

Telling Seth about her life, they try to find ways to stop whatever is happening.


Meanwhile, Keenan is the Faery Summer King.  He has been under the imprisonment of his mother for his entire life.  An evil woman, Beira, is the Faery Winter Queen.  She controls everything and everyone.  In fact, she froze Keenan's love, Donia, into becoming an Ice...Princess? of sorts (I can't remember what she is exactly, all I know is that who ever she touches, she can freeze).

Well, anyway Keenan has had dreams featuring a mortal...Aislinn.  And that is why the faeries are following her.  Keenan has chosen Aislinn to be his next girl in his quest to find the Summer Queen.

Aislinn, however, is not interested.  She and Seth are getting closer and closer, and possibly taking their friendship to the next level, so why would she want some creepy Faery King to ruin that?

To find out what happens, pick up a copy of Wicked Lovely.  I'm sure you would be able to find it in a library near you, because the book is a few years old.  

My favorite part of this story was the relationship between Aislinn and Seth.  I thought they are so cute!  Keenan, annoyed me a little.  He has been around for centuries, and is a bit old fashioned, so what may have been the way to "court" a girl back in the older time, would probably be considered a little creepy today.  He actually freaked me out a bit to be honest!

I really enjoyed the take on the faeries, especially Donia, the winter faery.  I loved the description of when she touched Keenan, and they're skins would sizzle, because of his warmth (Summer Kind remember), and her coldness.

I am definitely looking forward to reading the second book in this series Ink Exchange, I'm hoping my library has it!! :)

I do have to say I DON'T know if this book is for everyone.  It was a bit cheesy at points, especially with Aislinn and Seth's relationship, which I personally liked, but I know some people have a problem with, so beware of that.  And then of course, it's faeries!  So if you don't like Faeries (which if you think about it, who doesn't??!!), then this probably isn't a book you will like.

The cover sure is beautiful though! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Oh and before I go, I do have to say I happened to come across the Wikipedia page for Wicked Lovely, and OMG I laughed pretty hard, when I saw the playlist that someone posted on there for songs they think go well with this book! WARNING!! The first song is Baby One More Time by Brittany Spears!!  Seriously!! I really hope Melissa Marr didn't post that playlist haha, because to be honest I don't know if I would read a book where a scene's inspiration was Baby One More Time...

 

Comments

  1. Enjoy the performance of your beloved star with your friends and family. Detailed information of the events can be dig out from internet Discounted Wicked Tickets of all events that you love to attend and make your possible presence by booking your desired seat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick