Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft Review (#SWUR #2)

Just another Manic Monday everyone!

It sure has been for me.
So as I'm sitting here writing this post with one hand all that's going through my head is, "Mandy? How could you be so stupid?"
Explanation, please?
Well, let's just say that I had a complete Jackass moment this morning, as I went on my daily bike ride.
This is sort of how graceless I looked this morning:
No I didn't run into a barrel or anything, but I did flip my bike.
How?
Well, it can only be the cause of one thing:
Me stopping on the top of a hill, with my front brakes, attempting to get my phone out of my backpack, because I had received a text...from my mom.
Needless to say, I blamed my mom right, Sorry Mom! if you're reading this!! Love you!

Anyway, I not only have a gnarly bruise on my side, I also may have sprained my arm.  So I'm sitting here in a sling, typing with one hand!

So PLEASE excuse any typos in this post!!!

On an exciting side note though...and random, Robert Pattinson is currently staying in my town! In Reese Witherspoon's house! Pretty awesome right?!

Anyway, I have finally finished my second book in Jude's Summer Wrap Up Read-a-thon!

It is called Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft, and it is by the author Jody Gehrman!
Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft (Book 1)
Jody sent me an e-copy of her latest, plus a paper-copy of one of her former books (Which I'm super excited to read!!) and it intrigued me so much, I just had to read it right away!

Ok, I'm so sorry to be doing this, but I have to use Goodreads description before my arm falls off!

Falling in Love, baking a magical cake, fighting an evil necromancer—it’s all in a day’s work for Audrey Oliver, seventeen-year-old witch-in-training. When her mother goes missing and her twenty-one-year-old witchy cousin shows up out of the blue, Audrey knows something’s gone horribly, dangerously wrong. Now it’s up to her to get her own magical powers up to speed before everyone she loves is destroyed by the sorcerer intricately connected to her mother’s secret past.


Before I say my thoughts I also must mention that Audrey just found out she was a witch, after her mom goes away on some business.

Now to my thoughts:

Overall, I truly enjoyed this story.  It kept me intrigued, Audrey was a great character, with a lot of insecurities that I can relate to.  She's dealing with her first real crush on top of everything going on in her life.  It's got to be tough not having your mom there along the way, especially when you're really truly just figuring out who you are.

I loved the details, names of spells, her crazy "cousin", the freaky snake (I must mention I have a SERIOUS  phobia to snakes!!), and just overall the small details in the writing.  Once in a while I felt there were a bit too many, and I sometimes felt myself skipping a little, like one or two sentences.  
I will one piece of advice, I'm honestly not sure if it was just my kindle, and it honestly didn't have anything to do with the book itself, but I have realized I honestly don't like reading long books on my Kindle! I don't get the same feel with how much more I need to go as when I holding a hard copy in my hand.
But like I said, honestly nothing to do with this specific book!!

Overall rating:

So that's my review of Jody Gehrman's Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft!

Happy reading everyone!

The Romance Bookie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick