Fifty Shades Freed by EL James Review (SWUR #4)

This is my fourth and most likely final book in the Summer Wrap-Up Read-a-Thon hosted Jude @In Between & Jen @Some Like It Paranormal.

Tomorrow I will be writing a short wrap-up post to recap all I read for this super fun Read-a-Thon!

***WARNING!!!! MATURE CONTENT & MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM PREVIOUS NOVELS IN THE SERIES!!!***

For my fourth book I read EL James Fifty Shades Freed (the 3rd, and as far as I know, the final, book in the Fifty Shades Trilogy).
Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3)

For a recap of the first two books in the series, please go Here for Fifty Shades of Grey and Here for Fifty Shades Darker.

Here's a great description from Goodreads, that pretty much brings all the books together:

When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more -- love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own integrity, identity, or independence; Christian must somehow overcome his compulsion to control and lay to rest the horrors that blighted his past and haunt his present. Just when it seems that together their love can conquer any obstacle, tragedy, malice and fate combine to make Ana's worst nightmares come true.

And to add just a little information I will say that Ana and Christian have gotten married, already at the beginning of Fifty Shades Freed.  And a LOT happens!!!

Now to my thoughts:

Okay, I will admit it...I actually REALLY enjoyed this one!! This one was written quite a bit better than the previous two I felt, it didn't have James repeat herself as much as she had during the previous two.  And there actually wasn't as much sex as the previous two.

Also, Christian...oh Christian...how he's changed!! The transformation he's went through since Fifty Shades of Grey, is remarkable!  Okay, so he does still once in a while bring some of his old self in his and Ana's relationship, but definitely much better!!  He actually shows so much heart in this one!

Overall, I will say this...when it comes to originality (not including the sex parts! Holy Moly those are definitely pretty unique!) EL James would definitely get a 2 out of five.  Ever since it was pointed out to me that James originally wrote Fifty Shades as Twilight Fan-Fiction, I couldn't help but see just how may similarities there are between the two!! It's quite a bit ridiculous...

Here's a list, of just a few of the examples:

  1. Both takes place in Washington
  2. Ana drives a beat up old bug in Fifty Shades of Grey, before Christian buys her a new car later on to keep her safe; and in Twilight Bella drives a beat up old Chevy Truck before Edward buys her a brand new car in Breaking Dawn to keep her safe.
  3. Christian is a bit controlling, but WAY more to the extreme than Edward.
  4. Christian and Ana get married at the beginning of the final book Fifty Shades Freed) and Edward and Bella get married at the beginning of the final book in the series (Breaking Dawn).
  5. Christian and Edward are both EXTREMELY wealthy!!
  6. On Honeymoon Ana gets bruises from sex, but through a somewhat intentional roughness, while Bella gets bruises by accident from Edward during their first time.
  7. Honeymoon near water for both
  8. Ana and Bella are both insecure.  
  9. Ana and Bella are both uncomfortable with Christian and Edward spending their money on them.
  10. Christian and Edward are both skilled Piano players.
There are probably a ton others, but I either can't think of them at this moment, or they were too big of spoilers to include here...

Anyway, here are my thoughts about Fifty Shades Freed!

Overall, I really liked this book! I know that sounds a bit crazy, especially with what I wrote above, however, listen...I miss Twilight!! You can only read it so often before you pretty much have it memorized, so I loved reading a story that brought me somewhat back into the world of Twilight...okay so minus the vampires, werewolves, and definitely WAY more beating and sex!!, but what I love about Twilight is Edward and Bella's relationship and I was able to see a lot more loving relationship between Christian and Ana in Fifty Shades Freed then the previous two novels in the trilogy.  

I will say Christian scares the shit out of me sometimes!! Okay, a lot of the times!! 
However, I will admit he has many "Aww..." moments too, especially in this final book in the series.

And even though everything always falls into place, and a lot of things are VERY unrealistic, for instance just how young Christian is and how much he has already accomplished in his life...yeah okay, that would happen (that was sarcasm by the way), I will admit...that why I love fiction! Because anything can happen!  

That's fiction! If you don't like it...then maybe you shouldn't read it??

But anyway, overall I really loved the conclusion to this series...and okay, I will admit it...I think (only because of this third book though!!) I've fallen under the spell of this series! ;)

 Overall Rating:


I guess I get now why a lot of people love these books! :)

Anyway, so that's it for my review...sorry if it was quite a lot of rambling and not so much reviewing... ;)

Hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend!
The Romance Bookie :)




 

Comments

  1. I liked all of them but I think the 3rd was actually my least favorite. I liked how it wrapped up but I still give her 2/5, as you say, for originality ... especially once I started comparing it to Twilight! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I understand. I didn't know you read them all? I thought you'd said you'd just read the first one.

      Delete
  2. I really liked this one! Christian did change a lot and I loved getting his POV at the very end. I thought it was a nice ending.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick