The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky review

I've had The Perks of Being a Wallflower sitting on my bookshelf since late last year (when I received it for FREE!!), and since then I've told myself to pick it up and read it many times, but I just haven't had the chance...plus I knew it would be a tough to get through because of the tough topics it discusses.

Anyway, I finally did it!! So as some of you may know the movie was just released based on this novel, and from what I've heard it's a good one!  Stephen Chbosky, who also wrote the book, made the movie, so I think it's pretty much a guarantee that it will be true to his novel!  At least we can only hope!!

Anyway, now to the review...

Description from Goodreads:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Standing on the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

This haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion marks the stunning debut of a provocative new voice in contemporary fiction: The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.

Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.

My thoughts:

Now first I just want to say that when I first started this book what came to mind was that it felt like I was reading the diary of a ten year old girl's.  Chbosky uses very short sentences, in fact the writing style SORT of reminded of Judy Blume's, she also uses those short curt, sentences.

However, as I kept reading, I realized that it was just something that added to the realistic feel of this work of fiction.

Charlie is such a complicated characters.  He has soooo many things going through his head, involving family, friends, problems, music, literature, high school...it was endless!

He was also such a unique character!  Absolutely amazing to get into his head in a way, because you never really know what to expect...at least that's how I felt.

As I'm writing this review I'm listening to a song Charlie mentioned through the book...Asleep by The Smiths, it's quite beautiful.

Here it is, if you haven't already heard it before...

Anyway, his interest in classic literature and music was fascinating, because he would relate it to his life, and really go in depth about his feelings at the moments of him writing that letter. 

Charlie was also a very strange person...there were SO many embarrassing "cringe" moments, where I had to cover my eyes for a moment, which is something I tend to do when I feel a character's embarrassment.
He's extremely sensitive!  But he puts everyone else's feelings before his own.  His friendship with Sam and Patrick was very special, because while not many people seemed to understand him, they both just accepted him for who he is.

I loved the Rocky Horror Picture Show parts because I always thought about all the fun times my friends and I went!

I recommend this one for the old young adult group.  It's got a few pretty mature moments that the younger audience just shouldn't have to deal with just yet.  It talks about Rocky Horror Picture Show, which if you've got a problem with it, then you may not like... It deals with homosexuality, depression, high school, growing up, dealing with break ups, friendships, and so many different emotions.

I will admit it isn't a book that I'll probably pick up again for a long time, only because it was so extremely dark.  However, I am interested to see how the movie is.  So I'll hopefully be able to do a movie review one of these days, probably won't be for a while, but hopefully soon! :)

Happy Thursday everyone! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. If you are willing to pick it up again just for a few moments, and you think it worthwhile, why not grab the last day of Banned Books Week and read a bit from it on YouTube? :-) This one is on the ALA's banned- and-challenged lst and there's something very satisfying about giving the finger to censorship!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick