Wild Cards (Wild Cards #1) by Simone Elkeles

Hey Everyone!

From Goodreads:



After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama.

Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about leave without a backward glance. A football scholarship would finally give her the chance to leave. So she pours everything into winning a state championship, until her boyfriend and star quarterback betrays them all by joining their rival team. Ashtyn needs a new game plan, but it requires trusting Derek—someone she barely knows, someone born to break the rules. Is she willing to put her heart on the line to try and win it all?

My Thoughts:

First off, let me just say I am a HUGE Simone Elkeles fan! She is in my top five favorites list, and back in 2010 I even wrote her a letter and she wrote me back! Simone is awesome! She is great with her fans, always interacting with them online and answering questions! It's great, and quite frankly the perfect example of how an author should interact with their fans!

It seems like a long time since I read my last Elkeles book! In reality it's only been a little over two years but they are just such great reads! That being said I have a small confession, that I will admit is killing me to admit this right now...I was slightly disappointed by Simone's latest read Wild Cards.  
There was just something about it that through me off. The characters were great, the story had a great premise...that being said I will say I found myself cringing quite a few times when it came to there being overly cheesy scenes.
While I do think Ashytn and Derek had great chemistry (which is a given when it comes to one of Simone Elkeles's books), there were moments in their relationship I felt were very overdone and quite honestly if they were to happen to me in real life I'd be worried someone was Punking me.

That being said, like I said, other than those overly cheesy moments which were very few, this is still a great read! It's not my favorite when it comes to Simone's books, but it is still cute and worth mentioning.

Overall rating:

In one sense I would recommend this to the younger teenage readers because I think they might appreciate those smultzy scenes a bit more, but at the same time I can't really do that because there is quite a bit of language and sexual content in this one, so I will warn you!!! But I do think the age group for this one would be 15-17.

So that's it from me once again! I'll write again soon!! :)


Comments

  1. Oh, I love Elkeles, but mostly the Perfect Chemistry trilogy :) I was a little unsure about this new series, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think I'll give it a try.
    Can't wait to read more!

    ~ Shayenne
    http://bohobooknerd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick