Shut Out by Kody Keplinger (Audiobook Review)

Hey Guys!

So I didn't think I would be finishing another Audiobook this year, but thanks to the 45 minute commute to take my final last night, I finally finished listening to Kody Keplinger's Shut Out!

From Goodreads:



Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part, Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car gas been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention. 

Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: she and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. And Lissa never sees her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling, coming. 

Inspired by Aristophanes' play Lysistrata, critically acclaimed author of The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) Kody Keplinger adds her own trademark humor in this fresh take on modern teenage romance, rivalry and sexuality.

My Thoughts:

First off, a HUGE Thank you to Kody for sending me a signed audio copy of Shut Out!!  I am a huge fan of Kody's books, love them each and every time! I'm really looking forward to her new middle grade novel, The Swift Boys and Me, coming out May 27th, 2014!

I started listening to Shut Out about three months ago.  I would listen to it every time I had to commute to school, which luckily this semester I only had to do three times (I took an online class where we only had on-campus meetings three times in the semester).  But anyway it was a fun drive with the audiobook!

The narrator of the audio was Kate Reinders.  She definitely put a different twist on the voice of Lissa than I imagined as I was actually reading the book back in 2011 when it was first released.  To be honest, the voice that Kate used, sort of made feel annoyed with Lissa.  It was very Valley Girl, and sort prissy.  My favorite character after listening to the book would definitely have to Lissa's best friend, Chloe!  She was extremely honest, told it like it is, and wasn't afraid of the consequences!  People judged her, so she would hash it right back at them!  I wish I was like that in high school!

When comparing the audiobook to how I felt when I first read the book in my voice, I will admit I enjoyed reading it by myself more.  Like I said I didn't really like the voice the narrator used.  However, that being said, Kody still came up with a fun story that a lot of teen readers would enjoy I believe!

My book review back in 2011 was:
But my audiobook review would have to be:
I would turn off the audio sometimes because I needed a break from the voice.  I enjoy putting my own interpretations of the voices in when I read, so it's always weird for me when I listen to an audiobook of a book I have already read, because all that's going through my head is, "That is SO not how I imagined them to sound!"

None the less, check out the book if you get a chance! It's a good one!  My favorite from Kody would definitely still have to be The DUFF!!

Love that one!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. Paarberatung Stressful events like death of a loved one, separation, employment layoff and workplace changes can cause our stress levels to rocket

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick