Guest Review from Erin: Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike


Here's another great review from Erin!! :)

From Goodreads:


Moving to a new high school sucks. Especially a rich-kid private school. With uniforms. But nothing is worse than finding out the first girl you meet is dead. And a klepto. 

No one can see or hear Kimberlee except Jeff, so--in hopes of bringing an end to the snarkiest haunting in history--he agrees to help her complete her "unfinished business." But when the enmity between Kimberlee and Jeff's new crush, Sera, manages to continue posthumously, Jeff wonders if he's made the right choice.

Clash meets sass in this uproarious modern-day retelling of Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Erin's Thoughts:

So I read this book because I am a huge fan of Aprilynne Pike and her Wings series!! But this book is a big departure from Wings.  Although it's about a ghost, the rest of the story is very much a contemporary setting (high school), which is similar to Wings, but it had a lot less of the magical elements.  I think the main thing that threw me off in this book was that it's just so different from Wings!! It is written in first person and told in the point of view of a boy -- Jeff Clayton, and I would say that it's slightly more serious in matter --there's more swearing, drinking, parties, drugs, and that sort of thing.  But by no means was this a super dark, angsty book, it was just slightly more than Wings.

I guess the thing about this book is that I don't really LOVE any of the characters.  I don't hate them either.  They were just characters to me --I didn't feel especially attached to any of them.  And the story itself was fine, but it didn't completely consume me; I think it's safe to say that I could have put the book down at any time and been fine with that :) So...


Three and a half, actually! I enjoyed reading it, but I don't know if I'd ever read it again.  I still love Aprilynne Pike and will continue to read her books, but this one wasn't my favorite.  It's fun and lighthearted, so I'd recommend it for a relaxing day, say...at the beach!!

Erin @ The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. I enjoy reading some of the books you mentioned on your blog~ Yes, I believe we have the same taste~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, I will add it to my TBR list (although as you know, no guarantee when I get to read those, lol ...).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick