Guest Review from Erin: Goddess (#3 in the Starcrossed Trilogy) by Josephine Angelini

Goddess!!! The last book in the Starcrossed Trilogy by Josephine Angelini!! The last book in a series is always a scary thing for me.  It can totally make or break a series! (*cough cough* Requiem *cough*)


From Goodreads:



After accidentally unleashing the gods from their captivity on Olympus, Helen must find a way to re-imprison them without starting a devastating war. But the gods are angry, and their thirst for blood already has a body count.

To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a diabolical Tyrant is lurking among them, which drives a wedge between the once-solid group of friends. As the gods use the Scions against one another, Lucas’s life hangs in the balance. Still unsure whether she loves him or Orion, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, for war is coming to her shores.

In Josephine Angelini’s compelling conclusion to the masterfully woven Starcrossed trilogy, a goddess must rise above it all to change a destiny that’s been written in the stars. With worlds built just as fast as they crumble, love and war collide in an all-out battle that will leave no question unanswered and no heart untouched.


Erin's Thoughts:

Just like my favorite part about Dreamless was Helen's loneliness, one of my absolute favorite parts was Lucas! Helen admires his intelligence a lot and his ability to work logic throughout the series, but it really struck me this time! Ugh!! There is this...Riddle/wordplay scene that is SOOOOO gooood!!! I'm not going to give it away, but really really amazing!! And that's where you can see Lucas thinking and trying to solve the puzzle!! Loved it!! So smart!! One of my favorite scenes in the book!

And another favorite --- the battle scene!! Like many other last books, Goddess is where battle erupts! War breaks out and Helen and her team are doing everything they can.  In addition, there is plot twist/information that is revealed about Helen that adds a whole new layer of intrigue and excitement! But, like I said, I am a huge Greek myth/history fan and so I loved how Josephine Angelini incorporated elements of the Trojan War in Goddess!! I'm not going to say too much about this (we'll keep this review spoiler free! :)), but know that it's awesome! And I've said this before too, but just as a reminder, the Starcrossed trilogy isn't a retelling, but a story that adds on to the Greek myths while adding in some details.  Don't know if that makes sense, but there you have it!

There are just so many things that I loved about this book/series that I don't think I could list them all! Romance, action, twists, riddles, evil enemies...!! Goddess was definitely a satisfying conclusion and you won't have to worry about being disappointed.  The only thing I sort of wished for was more time with Helen and Lucas, but really, that's just me being greedy! *Sigh*

Overall rating:



I'm already craving more Josephine Angelini so luckily, she has a new book coming out this fall! I am super super super excited for this book/series and I cannot wait to read it!! It's called Trial by Fire (doesn't that sound awesome?) which is the first in the Firewalker Trilogy (also sounds amazing!) and comes out September 2nd! It's about witches and parallel universes and I am so so excited for it!! I'm very much looking forward to it and I'm confident that I will not be disappointed!! There's more information about Trial by Fire on Goodreads, so definitely check it out!! Thanks!! Until next time! :D

Erin @The Romance Bookie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick