Pie Girls by Lauren Clark (ARC Review)

Hey Everyone!

Sorry it's been a while again, since my last book review.  Unfortunately, life has hit its crazy point again.  Both school and my other job have started again, so I'm working Monday through Saturdays, with late days during the week.  I'm trying to find some time here and there to read, but since homework has been piled on since Day 1, and work is taking up A LOT of my time, the book reviews will be further and further apart again for at least a while.

Anyway I've finished Lauren Clark's latest release...Pie Girls!!

From Goodreads:



Princess, Southern belle, and spoiled-rotten social climber Searcy Roberts swore on a stack of Bibles she’d never return home to Fairhope, Alabama. After marrying her high school sweetheart and moving to Atlanta, Searcy embraces big-city life—Carrie Bradshaw style.

But now, Searcy has a teeny, tiny problem. Her husband’s had a mid-life crisis. He’s quit his job, cancelled her credit cards, and left her for another man.

Searcy returns to Fairhope, ready to lick her wounds. But when her mother falls ill, she’s is thrust into managing the family business—only to discover the beloved bakery is in danger of closing its doors forever. 

Enlisting the help of the adorable bike store owner next door, an array of well-heeled customers, and her soon-to-be ex-husband, Searcy hatches the plan of the century to save Pie Girls.


My Thoughts:

This book had a great story, with some great characters, and delicious delicious pie.  Heck, I actually am dying for a slice of cherry pie right now!

Searcy with her high maintenance attitude, and high end city lifestyle just needed a slap in the face...which she got, when her husband broke the news to her.  Personally, I think she needed it, and it was served very nicely.

I didn't really start getting to know the real Searcy until she made the move back to her hometown of Fairhope, Alabama.  That was where we were introduced to the sexy bike shop owner, Luke, her old best friend from high school, Tobi, and her "enemy" from high school, Hayley.

Wow, the array of different personalities in that town! So great!

Overall I have only one complaint about this book...few things were a little rushed for me, and seemed a little unrealistic at times.  For instance, the ending...the epilogue, to be more specific.  I wanted more information on Searcy and Luke's relationship, so when the ending came along, I didn't really feel there was enough build up leading up to it.

Overall rating of Pie Girls:


While I will admit Pie Girls, isn't my favorite book by Lauren Clark, I still believe it is a cute read, for someone looking for a cute easy, contemporary read.  I love how Clark brings in some of the Southern aspects, like the language, the small town love feel, and the feeling of true family, not just biologically, but also community family.

I do feel the book was rushed at times.  Things would be only semi-discussed, or not discussed, and then all of a sudden...BOOM, it was happening.  I would have like to have a bit more lead-up time during a few moments in the story.

But overall, definitely recommend it to those looking for a nice easy, fun, contemporary read! Even though this book is targeted more towards adults, because of the language and overall storyline, it's definitely a very clean read, so I think it's safe to read for anyone 16 and up.

Pie Girls by Lauren Clark has a great Southern Charm to it!

You can find your copy at Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Thanks everyone! And hope you all have a fabulous weekend! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. Mandy - Thank you so very much for reading and reviewing Pie Girls! I'm thrilled that you squeezed it in during your hectic school and work schedule! Hugs to you! Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick