If I Stay (Movie Review)

Hey Everyone!!

So I'm back!!!

Just flew back in last night from my ten day Florida vacation!! We had an amazing time!!!  I'm definitely planning on posting pictures of our awesomeness in Disney World and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in the next couple of days, so if you're interested keep your eyes open for that! :)

Anyway, last night on the airplane, I FINALLY got to watch the movie version of Gayle Forman's Best Selling novel If I Stay, featuring Chloe Grace Moretz (as Mia) and Jamie Blackley (as Adam).

I've been holding out on watching If I Stay, because well, I just haven't been in the mood to cry.  If I Stay is one of the saddest, hardest books I've ever read.  The story is so powerful and good, but at the same time extremely depressing.

Now before I tell you what I thought about the movie, here's a little description:

From IMDb:



Life changes in an instant for young Mia Hall after a car accident puts her in a coma. During an out-of-body experience, she must decide whether to wake up and live a life far different than she had imagined. The choice is hers if she can go on.

My Thoughts:

So just like the novel, the movie of If I Stay is a completely powerful and wonderful, yet sad experience.  Chloe Grace Moretz (Mia) was an excellent choice for the part of Mia, I thought. She brought the character to life, especially with how talented of an actress Chloe has proven to be in the past!

I loved how the dynamic of her family was brought across.  Like she felt like an outcast, but at the same time completely adored her family and vice versa.

The scenes in the hospital were the most difficult for me.  I teared up a few times.  But because the scenes kept switching from Mia's time seeing everything happen in the hospital, to remembering her past, it was better because I was able to get my mind off of the sad moments happening in Mia's life.

I just can't imagine experiencing what Mia went through in If I Stay.  I don't know if I would have made the same decision she decided to make at the end.  It's hard to tell.  I know she still had many loved ones surrounding her, but I just can't imagine losing so many people I loved in one moment.

Now...while I overall truly enjoyed the movie, there was something that truly bothered me...

THE ENDING!!!!

What was up with that sudden end?!

Seriously?

It bothered me, because, while I'm hoping they make a movie of the sequel Where She Went, and I know that book had a very similar ending, I still was hoping for more closure.  I wanted to know what her family thought when she made the decision she did of whether to stay or not.

Anyway...the overall rating:

If it wasn't for the sudden ending I would have given it all five bookies.

But overall, a really good powerful movie!  Highly recommend it and the book!  Gale Forman is an amazing writer, who you should definitely check out if you get a chance!  I really hope they make the movie for Where She Went, because I actually liked that one even more, just because I didn't have to cry as much ;).

So I hope everyone is having a good weekend!  I'm off to do laundry and spend time with my family, who I haven't seen in almost two weeks, before work and reality starts again tomorrow.

Have a great rest of your day!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. The ending annoyed me as well. I own it on Blu-ray now (I reviewed it), my mom liked it too but thought it was very sad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick