Erin: Fairest by Marissa Meyer

Hi Everyone!!

Here's my review of Marissa Meyer's latest book, Fairest! I actually read this months and months ago, but hadn't gotten a chance to type up my thoughts on it until now! As you may know, Marissa Meyer is one of my favorite authors and Fairest was one of my most anticipated reads of this year! Anyways, onward for the review!! :D

From Goodreads:


In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?


Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now. 

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.

Erin's Thoughts:

While Fairest has the amazing storytelling and prose of Marissa Meyer, it is a very different tone from the rest of the Lunar Chronicles.  It's a much darker, more serious, grim story and it doesn't have very funny moments or comic relief that's present in Cinder.

Learning about Levana was great, if not kind of devastating.  You get to see the relationship she had with her parents and her older (evil) sister, Channery as well as the events that may have caused her to become who she is in Cinder.  And despite how evil she is known to be, I couldn't help but sympathize with her (Eee! I Know!) She's so lonely and desperate for love that you can't help but feel for her.  She's been terrorized by Channery, dismissed by her parents, and Luna knows her as the princess who hides behind her glamour.  And she does --- she relies so much on her glamour she always wears, she comes from and represent and the ring she wears on her fingers that's hinted at in the Lunar Chronicles.  It's a very tragic story and it really does explain why Levana is the way she is. I feel like the book doesn't really answer the question about whether Levana was born evil or whether it was the circumstances in her life that made her who she is.  However, it doesn't really bother me seeing as I think it's a combination of both, but that's just my own opinion. :)

It was also really great to see much more of Luna.  Of course, I'm sure we'll get to know more about it in the upcoming Winter, but it's great to see a hint of it in Fairest. Aaand, we get glimpses of Winter, Cinder, and Jacin as well (as children)!!!

I know a lot of people weren't happy with this book as much as Marissa Meyer's other books and I know a big reason why was the length of the book.  Fairest is only 272 pages -- so very short compared to the other books in The Lunar Chronicles; it's very easy to read in one sitting (as I did).  And I heard some people weren't happy that such a short book costs eighteen dollars! But seeing how hard these authors work, I really do think it's worth it! Fairest is a great book and I do believe that it really adds depth to the entire series.

Rating:


Fairest was one of those books that the longer I thought about it, the more I loved it.  Even after I finished, I kept thinking about it.  It's such a heartbreaking story in so many ways, but so beautifully done.  I really suggest fans of the Lunar Chronicles read this, but just know that it's much different story than Cinder.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed the review!! :D

Erin @ The  Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick