Everything, Everything Movie Review

Hey Everyone!

Back in May I finished the book Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon.  It was the first book to get me out of my reading rut, at least for a little while, this year.  It was hard to put down, it had a great story line, characters, and was very well written to me.  So it's been a crazy few months (when isn't right?!), and I was never able to catch the movie in theaters.  I tried, I really did, but it just never seemed to work out.  But anyway, on Tuesday the movie version of Everything, Everything hit Redbox, so I reserved my copy, and picked it up after work!

My review of Everything, Everything, the movie:

Image is from IMDb.com

I really liked the cast.  Now to be fair, I already had seen the cast, before reading the book, so I was imagining them as the characters already as I read.  Amandla Stenberg, who you may remember as Rue in the first Hunger Games movie, played a really good Madeline.  She was very convincing.  Olly was played by Nick Robinson, who I know from the TV show Melissa and Joey.  His character was good, but I expected there to be more on his background.  The book talked about his family life a little more than the movie, but the movie did cover the basics for sure!  Madeline's mom, played by Anika Noni Rose (who did the voice of Tiana in Disney's Princess and the Frog) was good, but I expected more anger out in the end from Madeline (I don't want to spoil the ending, so read the book, or watch the movie!).  

I did notice something that bothered me...I know this is going to maybe sound a little petty...but Madeline has this rare disease that does not allow her to go outside, due to exposure to germs.  So because she has such a low immune system, one that is almost nonexistent, her house has to be 100% decontaminated and has these systems by the door, that sanitizes anyone that comes into the house.  Anyway, throughout the movie Madeline wears these all white, Birkenstock sandals.  

They look like these...

Photo Courtesy of http://birkenstock.com

Anyway, in one scene in particle, Maddy is sitting on her couch, in her completely 100% germ-free house, and her shoes are up, and you see the soles, and they were dirty!!!  Technically that shouldn't be if she lived in a completely 100% germ-free house, right??

I know, I know, it's a movie, let's not get too picky.  But that stuck out even for my husband, who hasn't read the book, but who knew what it was about, and actually liked the movie too!  

But that was my only complaint.

I will admit, I liked reading the story more than actually watching it.  It was more detailed, and translated into a motion picture did have it be a little slow at times.  Overall, though they did a great job!  It was a lot like the book I thought!

Rating:



The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. That's funny - I didn't notice that re: the sandals. I liked the movie as well but haven't read the book yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick