Coming Up For Air by Miranda Kenneally (Audiobook)

Hey Everyone!

Finished listening to Miranda Kenneally's Coming Up for Air during my drives to work!  I have had this book sitting on my night stand since last summer when it was released, but my head has just not been able to get into reading a book, so I figured out the next best thing...audiobooks!

From Goodreads:



All of Maggie's focus and free time is spent swimming.  She's not only striving to earn scholarships - she's training to qualify for the Olympics.  It helps that her best friend, Levi, is also on the team and that he cheers her on, but he's already earned his Olympic tryout, so sometimes his presence creates more pressure.  If that wasn't stressful enough, life become even more complicated once Maggie goes on a college visit.  There, she realizes how much of the typical high-school experience she's missed out on by being in the pool.  Not one to shy away from a challenge, Maggie decides to try to squeeze the most out of her senior year while still training.  First up?  Making out with a guy.  Maggie figures that Levi could be the perfect candidate - after all, they already spend a lot of time together.  But as Maggie starts to discover her own feelings for Levi, she must decide how much she's willing to sacrifice int he water to win at love.



My Thoughts:

So first off, I want to say I did not read this book, I listened to it, which I feel sometimes makes a difference on your perspective of a book, because you listen to how a certain person would read the book; instead of being able to make up that perspective on your own.

That being said, I was not a fan of this storyline; which no matter the perspective you still get the gist of when reading or listening.

I really wanted to like it, I mean Miranda Kenneally has written a few of my favorite books!  I don't know if it is because my perspective has changed, or I'm getting to old for YA, but there were a few things that kind of ticked me off about this book.

1. Maggie.  What a privileged child!

Someone has to be pretty full of themselves if they can just out into the world, from one day to the next, and be like.... "I am going to find a guy to make out with today, party, and get rid of my virginity!"

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be mean, but not everyone has had the luxury to just put on a sexy outfit and find the first "hot" guy they see and "choose" them to make out with.

Must be nice!

Now I know this probably sounds like it is coming from a pretty bitter person, but you know what no!  I am happily married to someone that is my best friend and who I plan on spending the rest of my life with happily!

As I was reading this, I just couldn't help but looking back at the people I went to high school with, and remembering the person who was like Maggie...and let me just tell you, she came off as a real conceded "mean girl" sometimes.

I mean I get it.  Some people are just lucky.  Cool.  Good for them!  That doesn't mean I have to like them.

2. Maggie's "arrangement" with Levi.

The second you hear it, you know something like would never work.  Maggie near the end bothered me, because what did she expect????!!!!  It was HER IDEA!!  I got frustrated a few times in the car, as I heard her bitching.

3.  Overall, I guess I'm just disappointed by how this storyline went.  Now, I don't want to make it look bad for everyone else.  I have the utmost respect for Miranda Kenneally, like I said, I love her books! In fact, I own all of them!  They are all sitting very nicely situated in my book shelf, which since moving in with my husband three years ago, I have had to cut my books down to one shelf, and put the rest into storage, so to have a book on my shelf that I have already read, means that I must really like that author or book!

So Overall Rating:


So there were quite a few things I didn't like about this one.  I probably would never reread it, and I probably would not recommend it to anyone, unless it sounded like something that would to their liking (because after all, something I may have not liked, someone else may love it!  I am not here to judge readers, just getting out into words how I feel about the books I read!  

The Romance Bookie :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick